Envisioning a world where justice and compassion cross all borders, we pledge energy and resources to transform ourselves, our community, and the world around us.
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Tucson furthers it mission through various programs. The social action program is one of those. The program is directed by a Social Action Council which coordinates groups involved in homeless hospitality and social action. UUCT is active with the No More Deaths movement.
Share the Plate Program
Share the Plate is an ongoing social justice activity of this church. Once a month, we share half of all non-pledge income in the offertory basket with a local nonprofit whose mission puts into action one or more of our Principles. Since its implementation, Share the Plate has increased congregants’ awareness of local efforts to improve our community as well as provide them information on how to help. As the name implies, Share the Plate is always split 50-50 between the local charity and our own church.
UUCT sponsors occasional trips for UUs and like-minded people in a structured tour setting. The cost is kept low and a portion of the fees are donated to UUCT (which are tax deductible).
Tucson UU Younger Adults
The UU Book Club meets to discuss books chosen by the attendees. All are welcome. Meetings are at members homes except during the COVID-19 quarantine we meet by Zoom.
TBIRDS: Winter Members, Friends and Visitors.
We are a Welcoming Congregation, recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. This means we affirm and include people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer at every level of congregational life—in worship, in program, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
Activities and Events
Activities and events we have held and/or are doing currently:
- Monthly Meetings. The third Sunday of the month 12-1 p.m.
- Seeking Members including lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer, plus Allies. We are PFLAG connected.
- Ice Cream Socials during Church Social Hour after service(s)
- Participate in and support LGBTQAI UU Association Services
- Participate in and support TIHAN Poz Café. In 2018 we provided volunteers for a lunch event and in December 2019 we participated in the Holiday Dinner Party.
- Participate/Support Tucson’s Pride Parade and Festival.
- Support with other UUCT Social Justice activities including No More Deaths.
- Participating in many church fundraising events including the annual auction.
Meetings are the third Sunday of the month 12-1pm. YOU are Welcome!